For The Love Of Space - Ermen




Dearest Ermen,

I first saw you in Room T-12. I was late for class and there you were standing on the podium talking about how since the Industrial Revolution, atmospheric methane concentrations have increased and are responsible for Earth’s rising temperatures due to Methane.

I had never seen someone so passionate about science. I meant at Administration of Aeronautics and Space (AAS) people were a sure genius, but they lacked the zeal that you had within you. Aaah, how I could just stand there and listen to you all day. For me looking at you was like looking in space. You were so full of stardust. Our Journey from studying together in T-10 to flying together in T-21 was the best thing that happened to me in the Administration of Aeronautics and Space (AAS)

Who could say that I would fall in love with you while tracking Methane from space? The first time you were launched for the moon, I could hear others cheering and screaming your name. Indeed I was proud and I knew it in my heart that you are a phenomenal Astronaut. But honestly, every time you have been launched, it is the worst day of my life, because of the uncertainty it brings. Because every time you are launched, I overthink and think the most unfortunate. Somehow I feel that probably this would be the last time we meet. And that in the next five minutes the person I adore could be blown into pieces. Yet I always have a smile on my face because I know it is through my smile that you gain strength.

I was thrilled to get launched with you for the mars mission when suddenly my health deteriorated and I was advised not to be launched. Trust me I had the aggression of the sun when Dr Das told me to be on the floor and resume work as the chief architect of spacecraft and support you guys as Mission controller.

Endless phone calls and video calls made it easier to feel you were nearby. But honestly, it was like living on every call and dying along with it. Trust me I have had heard about long-distance that dealt with kilometres and miles, but this that we had between us, the distance of light-years, brought so much more pain. I always hoped that you would come back hiding the feeling of the darkness of fear filling my mind that probably this was the last video call we could ever have. 

Every day I used to see the sky to see stars and planets through my telescope, yes yes the one that you gifted. Guess what you are right it sure does look like a sky full of lighters.

There were so many obstacles that you faced, but you managed everything so gracefully and I know it was only because of your love for Mars. 

Finally, the day arrived when you took your first step on mars and the world witnessed it. I was so happy you were safe from space sickness. They say people can go blind in a jiffy because of space travel, yet there you were holding our flag and making the world proud.

That was the last time the world saw you. That was the last time I saw you. I knew you would be gone for long but honestly, all I had actually wished was that you just don't die on me but you did because your love for mars was greater than our love.

Our daughter keeps asking me about you, all I could say is "Your mother was full of stardust and space is where she belongs." I don't know how to say it to her that her mom has become a star.

I resigned from AAS as our daughter at least needs one parent to be with her.  We gave up on the quarters after I left the job as that house had many memories and it was almost impossible to take another breath up there. Stella and I have shifted to Brooklyn and opened a Book-cafe with a space theme just as you wanted when we would retire. We named it House of a thousand wishes. 

After this Book-cafe, I and Stella have finally started to move on. But how can we move on without you Ermen? Every night we look through our telescope and talk about space and stars and planets. It's amazing how much Stella loves Space. Sometimes I see you in her. She has the same zeal that you had. She wishes to join AAS once she grows up. 

I know, space was your life and there you will always be. So, sending this letter with Ryan on his mars mission, to float it in space.

While you keep watching us from the sky, we will keep watching you from the earth.

Love today and always,
Stella & Ceilo 



Comments

  1. Love everything about the story from the title, the content, the emotional twist, the climax all in all is a perfect package.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started and it bound me. I read it in midnight with half eyes closed but wanted to reach to the climax. This is a beauty writing.
    Specially for a guy like me who is space enthusiast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, to be honest I’m glad you read it but I am that you liked it πŸ˜‡

      Delete
  3. It is an absolute delight to read your beautiful stories, where one can actually feel each and every lines! Bravo gal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monika. Your appreciation means a lot to me❤️

      Delete
  4. Very nicely written story. I was able to visualize the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved every bit of it sweetheart ❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was like a movie going on in front of my eyes. So beautiful, so precise and so touching. Loved itπŸ–€

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I will meet you there

Don't Let them Define You

Star Dust