Mumbai- The Land of fulfilling dreams

Image Courtesy- Google
Like many others before me I came to Bombay now Mumbai with lots of dreams. Dreams to do something in life. Dreams to achieve great heights. Dream to live my dream.
                                       
                       “WORDS ARE all I have to take you heart” goes a popular pop song but in our case, words originate as a desire to express the emotions of having our hearts been taken away by the charming, sensuous and mystical Mumbai. There is no contention that this ‘city of dreams’ exudes certain magic that leaves its inhabitants and visitors spellbound with others waiting to be cast under its magical spell. What is this charm and magic? What is the mystic of Mumbai?

                     In attempt to uncover the secrets and reveal answers to these questions, many Indian authors have chosen Mumbai as a central character in their books while others have based their characters in this financial capital of India only to beautifully exploit the nuances of the city.

                  However, Life of Mumbai has always fascinated me. People, are so full of life and encouragement. No one judges the way you present yourself in this unrestricted environment. Mumbai is the city that accepts everyone with open arms. Many people come to Mumbai everyday in achieving something big. Mumbai has give birth to great personalities such as the Ambani’s, Mittal’s; Tata’s etc. The city is beautiful. In just few days I began to feel a strange love for this city as if it’s my own. An unknown happiness started developing. The reason was not known to me until I started going regularly to college- where I met few people whom now I call my “best buddies”. They were strangers who now became the companions of life.
                          
                            Mumbai – the City of Dreams Mumbai (erstwhile Bombay) is considered to be the commercial capital of India. People of Mumbai are known all over the world for their joie de vivre, their aptitude to work hard and, most importantly, living a highly tolerant cosmopolitan life. Mumbai is the abode of an estimated 18 million people, most of them immigrants from other parts of India. What drives Indians towards Mumbai is the ample job opportunities and fast-paced life. People from rural areas, chase dreams mostly of becoming a film star or a cricketer or even a politician or businessman, and come to India. This has provided Mumbai with the title of ‘The City of Dreams’. It is said that no one can ever go hungry in the city as there is always some kind of job and some kind of subsistence for every person. Also, it is considered easiest to earn money in the city. People often reach dizzying heights of success and richness. Nonetheless, a person living in Mumbai is considered in high esteem in almost every other part of India. Mumbai has a unique history. Pre 16th century, it was made up of seven separate islands – Colaba, Mazagaon, Old Woman’s Island, Wadala, Mahim, Parel and Matunga-Sion. In 1662, these islands came into British possession from the Portuguese as a wedding gift when Prince Charles II married Princess Catherine of Braganza, daughter of the then Portuguese king. Over the centuries, these islands have been connected together by land into the single bulk of Mumbai that exists today. More land is being reclaimed to house the ever-growing population. The diversity in Mumbai is enormous. On one hand there are posh areas like Colaba, Cuffe Parade, Lokhandwala, Walkeshwar, etc. where the rich and famous live in swanking apartments and bungalows. While on the other, there is Dharavi, the biggest slum in the whole world. The suburbs of Mumbai – from Bandra to Mira Road-Bhayander – houses the huge number of middle class Mumbai residents.

                            Life in Mumbai is extremely hectic and it is said that the city never sleeps. Even in the nights, there is movement – whether in the form of discotheques and pubs or the ubiquitous auto-rickshaw drivers plying the roads all through the night. Mumbai is also the progressive capital of largely conservative India. It is the only city within India (with the exception of perhaps Delhi and Bangalore) that accepts without intervention inter-caste marriages, children born of wedlock and such other social oddities. Though there is a bit of reservation, Mumbai is constantly evolving and also beginning to slowly accept alternative lifestyles in its fold.
 
                     In this city where anything and everything has changed, the sea remains constant. There is nothing more beautiful then Worli seaface and Nariman point. I can sit and look at the sea for hours alone. People complain about its traffic and noise but for new comers like me these things give encouragement and a feeling that I am not alone. Mumbai local trains are far more popular then the places in Mumbai. It is crowed so much that even a mosquito will not get place to enter. People criticize about that to but for me it gave a feeling to work hard just as others did for their livelihood. I could see same faces everyday in the train. Half of Mumbaikers life is spent traveling in train from one place to another yet they live a satisfied life. “Bombay cutting chai” is something beyond the cup of tea. It is a kind of board meeting where people can discuss all the issues going in the world as they sip their tea. Issues may vary from the recent match to the nuclear deals.

                      Sometimes while running after our goals we loose sight of many things that really matter. It is now that I realized the love for this city is because of my friends who always made me feel special and were with me when I needed them the most. I was far luckier then others in the city as I got a bunch of close friends whom I could totally trust. These friends taught me to see life through their eyes, which made the city more gorgeous. They accepted me as if they had known me forever. I was pleasantly surprised to find a group of such genuine friends like I had never had before. It was a blessing to have friends whom I could relate to so well. Shifting to Mumbai was an experience which shaped my personality in many ways. Prior to the move, I had my doubts about coming to Mumbai, about the people here, about everything.   

                          But, Mumbai taught me the meaning of true friendship, while gains and pains are part and parcel of life. I have gained good friends. The very thought of losing them is very painful. Today I realize that Mumbai was the best thing that ever happened to me. I couldn't ask for more.

                             I accomplished all my goals. And all my dreams have come true. Mumbai is truly “The Land of Fulfilling Dreams”.


                              This great sense of belonging and warmth of the city keeps it going and even under tremendous exhaustion and anxiety people keep smiling and keep loving Mumbai – the city of dreams.

                               Come on over and be a part of the Magic called Mumbai and life wont be the same ever again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I will meet you there

Don't Let them Define You

Star Dust