Rehmat



Add caption


I saw her the first time in 4th grade. She was praying but it felt as if my prayers have been answered. I had not noticed her before. I realised she was new in class. A transfer case. 

Every day when everybody was enjoying recess time, she used to be in class praying. One day I gathered courage and brought her a samosa of Rs 5, for me, it was the best utilization of my pocket money. She nodded and smiled and said: thank you but I have kept Roza. I asked her name, she said Rehmat and at that moment the world stopped. I could hear music in my ears. Her name seemed like the best name I had ever heard. 

The only name in my mind was hers. The only address I knew other than mine was hers. The only landline number I knew was hers. The only thought was her. Rehmat. Rehmat. Rehmat. That's all that I could think off.  Being a Hindu, I hardly knew about the holy season of Ramadan so I made friends who followed Islam. I decided to keep Roza.  I even lied at home. I told them that school was teaching a chapter on secularism and so keeping Roza was mandatory. I still can't believe how my parents took it so well. Anyway, the holy month was over. But we became close. We used to sit together. Talk. Eat biryani during class. She thought we were friends. But we never were. We couldn't be. 

In that young age where we did not even learn what different feelings are, I fell in love with her. Summer vacations were on its way and because the school would be closed for a month, I decided to confess my love to her and wrote her a love letter. A month passed in a blink of eye by running on streets and playing games with friends. My Aji (grandmother) also visited me during vacations. School reopened. Everyone was present but her. I decided to go to her house to find out. She wasn't there. Her family left town. I remember crying while riding my bicycle. I felt crushed. I did not even know how she felt about me.

Year's passed, people changed but two things did not change: me keeping Roza for Ramadan and my feelings for her. 

I shifted to Bangalore to join Infosys. I had to join at Two in the noon. But I reached early. I was told to wait for half an hour. So I thought I will just take a quick walk in the garden. Suddenly I saw a girl praying, I remembered her. My Rehmat. She came walking towards me after her prayers and that's when I realized that I was standing there staring at her for sometimes. She came near me unveiled her face and before I could say something. She said years back I did not get a chance to say what I felt because my dad got transferred. But today I will. I love you too Yash, I always have. Always will.


That day I realized the power of prayers. I realized that somethings, some feelings, some people do not change. Truly she was the answer to my prayers. God’s divine mercy- Rehmat.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I will meet you there

Don't Let them Define You

Star Dust